Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Master

I'm back from watching UFC 107 from my local Hooters. I was originally at Buffalo Wild Wings until finding out an hour before the telecast that they no longer carried UFC pay-per-views. Luckily I got to Hooters in time to sit at the bar. The place was jam-packed and electric, a great time for a Saturday night during the holiday season.

Okay, I went with the upset picked Diego Sanchez to defeat B.J. Penn. Oh well. What's undisputable is that Penn is going down as one of the greatest MMA fighters in the sport's history. The Prodigy had an answer for anything Nightmare attempted is now 7-2 in nine championship fights and a champion in two weight classes. Incredible.

When he dropped Sanchez with a right within the first 30 seconds he set the tone for the rest of the bout. I thought it was over, but Sanchez's heart kept him it. His tools, however, were no match for Penn's systematic destruction that ended with a high kick in Round 5 that opened an ugly cut on Sanchez's forehead.

For Sanchez, expect a mandatory medical suspension that will keep him out of action until around the beginning of summer. For Penn, he's cleaned out the lightweight division and left you wondering who on earth can stop him? Someone will be deemed No. 1 contender and my guess is Gray Maynard if he defeats Nick Diaz next month at UFC Fight Night 20. If I were matchmaker I'd also pair Frankie Edgar against Kenny Florian, who looked awesome in choking out Clay Guida and the winners in a title bout.

I'll have more about Frank Mir's demolition of Cheik Kongo and Alan Belcher's first-round TKO later. It's off to bed and early to rise for a leisure trip to New York City to enjoy the holidays sights.

No comments: