Monday, March 29, 2010

Silva: Jones must earn right to fight me

One week and change later, the MMA world is still buzzing over Jon Jones' destruction of Brandon Vera. Today on FightMagazine.com I suggested five potential next opponents for the white-hot light-heavyweight.

One is Thiago Silva, coming off a loss to Rashad Evans, but competed well enough to retain his high standing in the division. In fact, Silva told my colleagues at MMAJunkie.com that Jones must first get to his level before they fight one another.

"I think [Jones] is a wonderful fighter; he's doing a good job, putting on a good show," Silva said. "But I think he has to prove himself more to get the right to fight me. He’s doing fine, but he has to take a few more steps. I [want to] climb fast to the title shot, so I want people with the high ranking right now."

Silva may have planted a bug in Zuffa's ear. He's looking at a UFC 116 return from a back injury. Last I checked Jones' calendar is open. How about Joe Silva telling Thiago Silva, "Think you're that much better than Jones? Prove it."

No comments: