Monday, June 10, 2013

Shaquille O’Neal urges NYS Assembly to allow vote on MMA bill

Add Shaquille O'Neal to the MMA-to-New York bandwagon. O'Neal, a native of Newark, has lobbied to support the legalization of mixed martial arts in New York, the only state in the land of 50 to not lift the ban on regulating the sport. Last week, Connecticut crossed its name off the infamous list.

Here's the full release:

****

ALBANY, NY June 10, 2013 – NBA legend Shaquille O’Neal today urged the Assembly to vote on legislation to legalize and regulate mixed martial arts (MMA) in New York. O’Neal, a New Jersey native, frequently spends time in New York and said if it were not for his responsibilities during the NBA playoffs he would have looked forward to coming to Albany to speak with Assemblymembers directly.

“For more than a decade, I’ve trained in MMA.  I’ve studied boxing, jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai, and wrestling.  I’ve practiced martial arts and MMA for the last 15 years.  I know how MMA training helps both the body and the mind. I know that MMA training teaches respect and discipline,” O’Neal said. “I’ve been to MMA matches – UFC and other promoters, professional and amateur – and I know that this is a real sport, requiring incredible athleticism and has a fan base that rivals the home crowds I played in front of for the Lakers, Heat and Celtics.

“I’ve been to a UFC event at the TD Garden in Boston and I would love to attend one at the ‘Mecca’ – Madison Square Garden.  As a businessman and sports enthusiast, I know the kind of economic activity UFC and other MMA events bring to communities.  It would be huge in New York City and would be even bigger for those struggling upstate New York communities,” O’Neal said.  “New Yorkers love their Knicks and Nets, Yankees and Mets, Giants and Jets, and they also love MMA.  It’s time for New York to do the right thing.

“The State Assembly should allow a vote on the bill to legalize MMA. The Senate has supported it and now it’s time for the Assembly to give New Yorkers a fair opportunity to be able to watch MMA at an arena in their hometown,” O’Neal said.  “I know the Speaker loves the Rangers, but millions of New Yorkers also love MMA with the same passion he has for hockey.”

Follow Jon Lane on Twitter: @JonLaneNYC

No comments: