Friday, August 22, 2008

Turn out the lights

Last night I'm at Hawaiian Tropic Zone in Manhattan hanging out with two friends, both of whom are in the sports industry and pull no punches with their takes. Behind the sight of hot women dancing and wearing skimpy attire was four television screens, one in each corner, picture-in-picture of a space at least 200x200 feet. Each aired Yankees vs. Blue Jays on YES, with the Yankees getting blasted 13-0 by the time I left. Every player wearing gray were wishing they had some swimsuit model giving them undivided attention. Manager Joe Girardi sat defeated in the dugout, probably wishing he was back in the broadcast booth.

We went to the Zone not for baseball, but for cheesecake, but we couldn't ignore the Blue Jays smacking around Sidney Ponson, David Robertson and Billy Traber. In the top half of each inning, the Roy Halladay was treating the, um, vaunted Yankees offense made me think of "The Sandlot," when Benny Rodriguez's team made fools of their neighborhood rivals.

Okay, the season's still not over. I remember last season's Phillies and Rockies. But what makes anyone think this Yankees team can suddenly turn the volume up to, never mind 11, but 111, just like that? For comic relief, or depressing perspective, today's New York Post started its' tragic number countdown. Any combination of Rays wins and Yankees losses totaling 23 eliminates the Yankees from the AL East race, wrote George King. Any combo of Red Sox wins and Yankees losses equaling 24 kills the Yankees' Wild Card hopes.

If I'm proven wrong, so be it, but time to look ahead to Yankee Stadium's farewell party on Sept. 21. I'll be there, but I won't be reporting a funeral. I have too many Stadium memories to let what's realistically a transition season tarnish that upcoming experience. Today's task: An interview with MMA fighter and fellow Long Islander Matt Serra, my first assignment for MMAjunkie.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought this post was going to be about hot women at the Zone and not the Yankees. I feel mis-lead, Jon!