Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Another step back for Leben

I wrote this on October 23 about Chris Leben in response to backlash over Junie Browning:

I bet you these same people hated Chris Leben, who after causing chaos on TUF got busted for DUI and spent 35 days in jail. Today, he's turned it around and put up a credible effort in a loss to Michael Bisping. You hope Leben can keep out of trouble and you hope Browning can follow a similar path, minus the DUI.

My MMAJunkie.com colleagues reported on Monday that Leben was suspended for nine months and fined one-third of his fight purse for failing a drug test. Leben, who dropped a unanimous-decision loss to Michael Bisping at UFC 89, tested positive for the steroid Stanozolol, synthetic anabolic steroid popular in bodybuilding. He'll be eligible to return to the UFC in July.

"I've really done everything I can to turn my life around, and this is a huge setback for me, but it is something I will have to deal with," Leben stated. "During my time off from fighting, I want to speak to kids about the dangers of using performance enhancing agents and let them know it just doesn’t get you ahead in life. Of course this is a hard hit for me monetarily, but more so this is embarrassing for me and for all of my fans. I apologize to the UFC and everyone who supported me in my fight in England. I hope to work through this and get back to fighting soon."

Memo to Chris: Get your life back together, lick this thing and get through to those kids. They look up to you and will listen to you. But first, it's your move.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like this blog, I started a forum, which has a ton of

information on MMA, the url is http://www.ultimatefightingforumz.com

. I am not sure you guy have videos yet on this blog for MMA, but I

would love to help out and provide some for you. My webmaster

compiled a bunch of video feeds from youtube and other sources, that

would benefit this blog as well, if you are interested. Thanks again

and have a great day!