Friday, November 21, 2008

Great job, Moose

Mike Mussina formally retired yesterday, leaving baseball when he still had plenty left. I covered his revelation that his mind was made up in January, his accomplishments on the field and his immediate future right here.

When Mussina played in Baltimore, and first came to New York, he was surly and very difficult. I didn't know him then, but the Mussina I got to know was very engaging and absolutely hilarious. It seemed like every day, especially during Spring Training, he'd hold court telling stories about baseball or pop culture (he's a big fan of everything '80s, T-shirts, movies, music, you name it). Every time I'd laugh out loud, even he didn't intend to be funny. He was also supremely intelligent, gave you excellent answers and was always honest (except in the case of his retirement plans), if you broke through the wall he'd put up.

Mussina had a way of making general conversations very entertaining and putting some in their place. A few of my favorite anecdotes that show both emotions:

2004: We were at Mussina's locker discussing a big upcoming series against the Red Sox when Moose was scheduled to face Pedro Martinez. A reporter was about to ask him about that when Moose cut him off. "No, no, no, no, no ... no Boston questions I apologize." After some small talk the reporter asked, "How come you don't want to talk Boston." Mussina replied with emphasis, "Because ... I don't!" Then he turned to the reporter's notepad, made a writing gesture and repeated slowly, "Be-cause I don't."

Also in '04: When was revealed Mussina would start Game 1 of the ALDS against the Twins, we gathered around his locker and a reported asked if it was an honor opening the Yankees' latest championship quest. Moose turned around and smugly replied, "Yes." Following about 15-20 seconds of silence, the reporter enunciated, "Whyyyy?"

Also in '04, shortly before the playoffs, this story courtesy of my old YES colleague Will Weiss: A local TV reporter interviewed Mussina shortly after Bernie Willams' walk-off home run clinched the AL East. The reporter started the interview by asking: “Mike, you’ve been outspoken this season, complaining about the trip to Japan, you struggled through an injury…” Mussina cut the reporter off and said, “How do you know I’ve been complaining? You’ve been here like 10 minutes all year.” The reporter looked back at the cameraman and asked to start over.

Spring Training 2005: I approach Mussina for a one-on-one. Silly me told him it would be generic questions. He replied, "Then you'll get generic answers." Lesson learned and thought confirmed: Moose is really not a bad guy. I don't remember what we discussed, but we snuck in a few '80s topics.

Later in '05: Reporters wanted to know about Mussina's rehab from an injury. He hadn't thrown yet, and when he was approached for about the fifth time, he raised his voice in mock frustration, "What do you waaaant!" He then gave a demonstration of how he got dressed without any discomfort. It was one of those you had to be there moments.

Spring Training 2006: We do another exclusive about a day when I first arrived to Tampa and approached Mussina and John Flaherty to say hello. Moose extended his hand and told me, "Good to see ya." One question I asked is why he chose "The Zoo" by the Scorpions as his entrance theme. He said, and I paraphrase, "Around here is a zoo. There's always something going on, especially when you least expect it, so you need to be on your toes at all times."

2008: A group gathers around Mussina's locker to ask about Manny Ramirez, his longtime tormentor, being traded to the Dodgers and how it would impact the AL East race. He warmed up, but initially wasn't in the mood at first. "I don't knoooow," he whined. Once we warmed up, it was his usual impeccable analysis and honest appraisal. Later that season, after Yankee Stadium's final game. Moose and I exchanged friendly looks and a handshake. I thanked him for everything and wished him the best in whatever he chose to do next. He gave me a look of appreciation, which in hindsight told me he was out the door without looking back.

Thanks Moose. You were a master on the mound and thoroughly entertaining. Enjoy the quiet life and here's hoping we catch up in Cooperstown.

No comments: