Saturday, May 16, 2009

Can Pitbull deliver on bold promise?

Thiago Alves made a bold prediction for his fight against Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100. If anyone can back it up, he can. He's 25, on a seven-fight win streak and is too relaxed to not feel any pressure.

What I can promise is this one will be a classic. Both come from great camps (GSP, Jackson Submission Fighting; Alves, American Top Team), and Alves has been working with Howard Davis Jr., whose influence was readily apparent in Chuck Liddell's fight against Maurico Rua before the Iceman (again) let his guard down. Both are young (GSP, 27; Alves, 25) and while GSP is at the top of his game, the Pitbull is still peaking.

Lined up in the coming weeks are interviews with Ryan Bader, Cain Velasquez, Heath Herring, and various sources from their past and present. Looking ahead to July 11 I'll be attending a ceremony in Glen Cove, N.Y., where the town is naming a street after its native son, Davis.

Another nice win for the Yankees today. That's four in a row, two via the walk-off hit. Today's hero was Alex Rodriguez, who belted a walk-off home run to win it in the 11th, and his postgame quote is a hopefull sign that he's finally growing up.

“I gave you guys something to talk about and write about in the 11th inning and I didn’t have to open my mouth. That’s the way I want things, to stay out of my own way.”

I'm at the Stadium on Monday for my first Q&A of the season with YES analyst David Cone. That will be fun.

No comments: