Sunday, May 24, 2009

I'll stick to writing

There's a reason why I'm not in the prediction business. It turned out I was 1-5 in my UFC 98 forecast. Yeesh. I'll leave that stuff to Performify.

Welcome to the Machida Era, writes John Morgan. I picked Rashad Evans because he was the reigning champ who has had an answer for everyone, and it concerned me how Lyoto Machida would react the first time he was hit with a clean shot. Not only can't Machida be beat, nobody can TOUCH him. I've love to see any available Compubox numbers. I doubt Sugar landed more than 10 blows in the two round before he was knocked out. I see the Dragon reigning at 205 for at least two years; he's got the goods, writes Franklin McNeil. His next bout is against Quinton Jackson, but Rampage won't have an answer for Machida Karate either.

Matt Serra had his chance when an accidental head butt left Matt Hughes dazed, but once Hughes took Serra to the ground, he took control of the fight and won a very close decision that could have gone either way. The Terror has nothing to be ashamed of - nothing. And it was good to see the two embrace afterwards. In the fight game, sometimes being respected is better than being liked.

Not enough people talk about Frankie Edgar. He owns wins over Jim Miller, Tyson Griffin, Spencer Fisher, Hermes Franca and now Sean Sherk. A breakthrough for The Answer, writes Dave Doyle, one that could put him in line for a shot at the winner of B.J. Penn-Kenny Florian in August.

Ever hear of Drew McFedries? It took him a whole 37 seconds to dispose of Xavier Foupa-Pokam. Looke for The Massacre to make his move among the middleweights and most importantly wish him the best in his ongoing battle with Crohn's Disease.

I didn't see the fight, so I can't judge whether it was a quick stoppage, but a devastaing loss for Phillipe Nover, KOed in 1:03 by the previously winless Kyle Bradley. Referee Yves Lavinge later told Nover, "I'm sorry that I stopped the fight," but in MMA you err on the side of caution the second you determine a fighter cannot defend himself. Dana White predicted during TUF 8 that Nover would become one of the great ones. Don't give up on the kid from Brooklyn. He's going to learn from this and bounce back strong.

No comments: